01. Primary Job Search Strategy
Plan your job search project based on a systematic Job Hunt Campaign Strategy.
As you execute your job search – constantly refine your strategy.
Do constant reality checks: Measure your progress against proven metrics.
Get Started & Review Your Game Plan
Craft Your Elevator Pitch
Build Your Target List
Network In Easy Steps
Research, Refine & Monitor
02. Classic Job Search Techniques
Toolkit: “Job Boards In Canada & USA”
Find current vacancies and job advertisements using the above Job Board master list
- Typical response rate is 2 or 3 interview for 100 resumes sent.
- Internet job boards, employer websites: Very effective for IT jobs.
- Print ads: Many jobs in print ads may not be on internet.
Walking In : Largely appropriate for blue-collared jobs .
- Do not just drop your resume at the front desk.
- Try to meet people who work there, not just the HR person.
- Research in advance about the company and it’s org structure before you walk in.
- Appropriate for blue collared /hands-on jobs which pay hourly wages.
- Must have a pre-written script for a smooth conversation and another voicemail script.
- Send resume only after talking on phone first.
- Do not completely discount HR. thought they should not be your focus. Ask who is the ‘recruiter’ for that company or department at which you are applying.
Direct Mail: This refers to sending unsolicited mail to people who don’t know you at all and to whom you don’t have any introduction.
- Be prepared for a response rate of <1%.
- Do not send attachments in emails unless asked for. Abbreviate your resume in the mail body itself.
- Always direct mail by name.
Recruiters Including staffing agencies, Temp agencies
- The fee is ALWAYS paid by the employer. Anybody who collects fees for arranging interviews from you is illegal operation.
- Check directories of recruiters specializing in your area of work.
- Recruiters may try to get you to accept a job offer at a lower rate since they may get incentives from a company for this.
Toolkit: How To Work With Recruiters
Toolkit: Directory Of Recruiters – Canada
Toolkit: Directory Of Recruiters – USA
03. New Job Search Techniques
Get Found Through Social Media – Create an online presence: including your blog, website and selected social media sites.
Toolkit: Increase Your Find-ability
Toolkit: The Web 3.0 Job Finder: Social Media
Toolkit: LinkedIn Secrets: Find Jobs
- Create an e-Book relevant to your industry.
- Write a well researched book backed by real experience (your own or others) – Get it published – If necessary self publish it and put it on amazon.com. A book brings a huge amount of credibility for the writer.
- Write case studies on your blog.
- Prepare a competitive analysis.
Temp to Perm: Short term jobs often give you a chance to expand your influence map of contacts. Go for it, even if it is one day a week.